Tuesday 12 November 2019

Australia bushfires: Pregnant firefighter defends decision to fight fires


Kat Robinson-Williams is the third generation in a family of volunteer firefighters
A 23-year-old pregnant volunteer firefighter has fiercely defended her decision to fight dangerous bushfires that have swept across Australia.
Kat Robinson-Williams, who is 14 weeks pregnant, said she received many appeals from worried friends to stop.
It prompted a powerful post from her on Instagram where she said she would not "just stay behind".
Ms Robinson-Williams has been volunteering with the New South Wales (NSW) Rural Fire Service for 11 years.
"I'm not the first pregnant firefighter and I'm not going to be the last one," she told the BBC. "I'm still in a position where I'm able to help so I will
Australia is enduring a bushfire crisis that has left three people dead since Friday and burnt more than 200 homes.

'I don't care if you don't like it'

Ms Robinson-Williams first posted on Instagram on Monday, putting up several pictures of herself in firefighting gear on the way to an incident.
The post was captioned: "Yes I am a firefighter. No I'm not a man. Yes I am pregnant. No I don't care if you don't like it."
Her post was met with an outpouring of support, with many calling her "an inspiration to all girls".
Kat Robinson-Williams in firefighter gearImage copyrightKAT ROBINSON-WILLIAMS
Image captionMs Robinson-Williams has also received many messages of support
The volunteer firefighter, who comes from the Hunter Valley in NSW, told the BBC she had posted the picture after several friends had told her "you shouldn't be doing this".
"I wanted to tell them I'm okay and that I'm not just going to stop," she said. "I'll stop when my body tells me to stop."
She added that her doctor had given her the all-clear "as long as I wear the right equipment".

No comments:

Post a Comment